Friday, August 22, 2014

Do unto others as you would have them do to you

Do unto others as you would have them to do you is a maxim we have all heard. It is a model of good behavior. It predicated on the idea that everyone wants good for themselves.

Unfortunately, not everyone lives by this maxim. They simply don't not know how to put themselves in the other person's shoes.

Some time back, this saying struck me. It suddenly resonated with me and I resolved to live by it. For me, It means not laughing at the other guys poor english because my french probably sounds funny to a french man ( I still find Papilo and Ikpeba funny oo) . It means appreciating people because I want to be appreciated too. I means judging people by the same standards I use to judge myself. ( Errm.. I hear we aren't supposed to judge but don't we all?)

Following this rule has also revealed things about myself. I don't like people who promote themselves even when it is necessary or appropriate. I expect people to be rational. I can be naive, assume the best of other people and wait for glaring evidence before I change my mind ( thats actually good).

I wish everyone would follow this rule. Imagine a world where everyone did what they wouldn't like to the other person. Horrible, innit?

No comments:

Post a Comment